Momcomm is now known as Blog Clarity. Kind of like Puff Daddy became P Diddy (except my name isn’t changing back like his apparently did).
Besides the domain name, the biggest changes you’ll notice are the new header and the new blog theme!
As I mentioned, the design is still a work in progress. I’ll be blogging about the changes I make along the way in the hopes that seeing the process will help if you ever decide to rebrand or start a nice site (or just if you’re curious)!
Blog Clarity Basics
Here’s what (and who) I’m using for some basic website necessities.
Blog theme: Genesis Framework with Metro child theme I’m using the Pink color theme, but will need to adjust the pink to match exactly (it’s CLOSE though)! I did have to dig into my functions.php file and my CSS to adjust some things for the header. I’ll share some more about that when the design is all done. By the way, you can see a demo of any of the Genesis child themes on their website. If you want to know more about frameworks and themes (and how to pick one out), download Chapter 7 of Blog Design for Dummies for FREE.
Domain name registration: Hostgator In addition, I didn’t want to do the domain switch myself, given that I have so many extras like Woocommerce, WP Affiliate, and so on. I worked with Blog Clarity sponsor RFE Hosting and Aaron was great!
Some Bumps During the Domain Switch:
Theme Test Drive Plugin: I’m so glad Aaron was on-hand to walk through switching to the new domain. I had been designing the site using this plugin, which lets you test out a theme before activating it. When I activated it and looked at the homepage, it was just my sidebar content in the main column and sidebar. No header, nothing. I really wasn’t sure what was going on, but Aaron figured out that all the content in my widgets had been moved around. A little dragging and dropping and that was fixed easily.
File 404 errors: Some of my files (such as those for Content Brew) aren’t in the media library, so once we realized this, the folders just had to be moved to the new domain.
My Pinterest posts from Momcomm are redirecting without being flagged as suspicious links. I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. As you might know, you can’t use short URLs on Pinterest because of spam issues. In the past, this rolled permanent 301 redirects into that same bucket, but they must not anymore since all my links are directing to Blog Clarity just fine.
Installing tracking codes just took minutes. I forgot how easy it is to install scripts to track the analytics on a site. After all, I haven’t had to do it in a while. I installed codes for Google Analytics, Statcounter, and Quantcast in just a few minutes. Score!
Updating RSS information was easy. When changing my RSS feed, I was afraid my current RSS subscribers would be lost. For my RSS-to-Email subscribers, all I had to do was update the feed URL (which I already knew would be easy). The pleasant part was that Feedburner lets you update the feed that Feedburner pulls from. All I had to do was update that with my new Feedblitz URL.
The Next Steps
Email: My email still says Momcomm, so I’m working on getting a new email address for Blog Clarity and will then update my email lists and forward my Momcomm email.
Colors: I want to inject more color into my theme design. While I’m using the Metro theme’s pink color scheme, the color isn’t exactly the pink I want. In addition, there are plenty of other places where I want to update the colors (like those black menu bars).
Fonts: I find Metro’s standard fonts a little plain for my brand. And I actually made the H1 heading font size smaller right off the bat. I want to integrate my new fonts into the design. As much as I love my script font, I will be using it sparingly since it would be too cumbersome to read in large doses.
Home page: I’m moving to a different layout for the homepage. Luckily, the Metro theme uses widgets to make laying out a new design super easy to do. Just need to design some graphics!
Favicon: Get my favicon updated so it’s not the generic Genesis G.
Fix some alignment issues: I notice on the blog post pages the body content is indented to the right. It’s subtle but I need to fix that.
Let me know what you think about the new digs! Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.