Ways Bloggers Can Use Pinterest Secret Boards

The secret is out by now. Pinterest just launched boards that you can keep private! Cool, right?

These private boards don’t show up in searches (not that Pinterest search is worth a darn anyway), in any categories or in anyone’s feed. They’re truly secret. Hidden. Classified. Private. Under wraps. You can even collaborate on a private Pinterest board with other pinners.

But there’s a BIG CATCH. Pinterest only plans to have the boards around for the holiday season. For now. Maybe they’ll change their minds. But that’s a big funsucker now isn’t it? You can read through the comments on their blog post to see what they say about it. (In case you were wondering, private boards won’t be deleted or made public if they don’t continue them. You just won’t be able to add new ones.)

I’ll just head to la-la land and pretend that Pinterest will think private boards are SO FRICKIN AWESOME that they’ll keep them around. I can’t speculate but I can imagine there would be quite a bit of backlash if they took them away.

Ways to Use a Private Pinterest Board

So assuming they stick around, what sorts of ways can you use a private board as a blogger? Let’s count the ways:

• Mood board: If you’re working on a blog redesign or starting a new blog, create a mood board of imagery, fonts, colors and examples that inspire you.
  • Curate articles for a blog post: Pin articles you want to reference or link to without giving your followers a peek.
  • Collect blog post ideas: Save articles, research or images that give you blog post ideas.
  • Collaborate with other bloggers on a project: Since you can add others to private boards, a group of bloggers can pin to a secret board to work together on a project.
  • Launch a complete board all at once: If you’re making a big announcement that you want to use Pinterest for, then you can pin things to a private board until you’re ready to make the announcement. This also works if you do social media for a brand and want to unveil a full board versus hitting your followers with a bunch of pins at once.
I’m sure you can find other uses for private boards too! (By the way, you can do this on Evernote too but since some people don’t use Evernote, Pinterest may be a better option.)

How to Set Up a Board

It’s super easy to set up a private board. Like so easy I probably shouldn’t even be giving you directions. But I will anyway. *grin*

1. Go to Pinterest and click on your boards under your profile.

2. Scroll down to the bottom of your boards page and you’ll see three blank beauties ready to be filled.

3. Get to building your board. You’ll know a board is secret by the bright, red slider that says “ON.” Yeah, told you it was easy.

You can turn a private board public at any time to make room for a new private board.

Tell me! Do you think you’ll use private boards for blogging? Are you hoping they’ll stick around?

Comments

1. says

Oh, I hadn’t realized they were temporary. (Not that I’ve created one yet…) Private boards seem like a no-brainer to me. I realize it defeats the social purpose but I can see a lot of people finding that appealing in addition to their usual (public) boards.
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..Boys Will Be Boys

2. says

I’m so excited about secret boards. Have wanted them for awhile. I plan to use them for pinning gift ideas, as well as planning photo session ideas that I don’t want to reveal yet. I love some of your suggestions as well! So many possibilities!
    Kim Cunningham recently posted..Scavenger Hunt Sunday

3. says

I am among the Pinterest users that didn’t realize the secret boards were only going to be available during the holidays. My first thought to that was, okay so I’d probably only use them for pinning items for gifts (to keep them a secret until the recipients unwrap their gifts!).

I don’t know that I’ll use them until I am sure Pinterest is going to keep them around. I don’t want to do a bunch of pinning for it to all go away in a couple months!
    Kecia recently posted..Thanksgiving Menu Ideas: 50 Thanksgiving Side Dishes

4. says

P.S. I *do* have a personal Pinterest account but it’s such a hassle to toggle back and forth between both accounts that I have more or less stopped pinning personal favourites on Pinterest; the new Secret Board will allow me to pick that back up again and – hopefully – still be around once the hols are over. :-)
    Tea in England recently posted..Remembrance Sunday 2012

5. says

Oooo, I love this idea for the exact reasons you mentioned. I read somewhere else that it was in beta form and not available to everyone. Since I see it’s available, I’m jumping on. I do hope it hangs around. But, what a fun idea for the holidays, too . . . for pinning gifts. Thanks for the great article.

6. says

Oh yes…I am loving these secret boards!

I think just the mere fact that you can keep some boards all to yourselves without sharing with everyone, or sharing them with only a selective group of friends sounds interesting indeed. I didn’t think about having a board for pinning blog posts for future reference, which sounds interesting indeed.

Thanks for sharing. :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted..Are Married People Really Happier Than Singles

7. says

Great stuff! I’m using them for now, since they are easier, but I did a 31 day series {before these were available} and pinned all my stuff to private board on MikeLike.com which does the same thing. I like that site for hiding what i’m working on, as a blogger. I have so many followers on Pinterest that it would spoil any surprise, really!

Becky B.
    Organizing Made Fun
    Becky@OrganizingMadeFun recently posted..Special Giveaway: Organizing your Baby’s Memories

Trackbacks

1. […] For re-pins, I visit the link and look for a Pinterest button. If the person has either a Pin It button or a Pinterest button that links to their profile, then I go for it and re-pin that puppy. If they don’t, I might ask for permission via Twitter or email. I did this before for some portrait ideas from a photographer’s site and she responded fairly quickly. Typically though, I just pin it to one of my secret Pinterest boards so I can have my cake and eat it too. (Bloggers- here are some cool ways you can use secret boards). […]