The 10-Minute Touch Up is a quick, weekly challenge to get you DOING, not just reading about doing. Consider it a way to touch up your blogging just 10 minutes at a time!
Avoid the Wallpaper Effect
Challenge: Move a couple of things around on your blog to wake everyone back up!
Why: Ever go into autopilot when you’re driving a routine route, then get to your destination and think: “Gee, I don’t even remember getting here.” When people visit your blog multiple times a week, your blog design and layout can become wallpaper for them. Meaning they don’t really even notice your sidebar or footer any longer, just like you get used to passing all those houses, stores, and restaurants on a route you drive every day.
For ads, you may have heard the term “banner blindness.” Well, I use the term wallpaper to encompass more than just ads. By moving, adding, or switching around some elements on your blog, you can jolt people back into paying attention.
How to Do It
The easiest place to make noticeable changes are on your sidebar and footer, but you might even change up your homepage. Let me get you started with a few ideas:
- Change our a social media embedded profile with another one (like removing a Facebook Like Box and replacing it with an Instagram widget).
- Add something new to your sidebar (just make sure it has value)
- Change the colors of your SM buttons (okay, this’ll take longer than ten minutes, but if you’re bored with your buttons, then go for it!)
- Rearrange widgets (such as switch around your Search Box and your Categories listing)
- Update affiliate ad with another design the company offers
- Move an ad position (if you aren’t bound for it to be in a certain spot)
- Add images and links to your most popular posts
- Link to an informational page (like a Resource page) from your sidebar or footer
What did you move, add, or switch out on your blog?